torzu

torzu is a fork of yuzu, the world's most popular, open-source, Nintendo Switch emulator.
It is written in C++ with portability in mind, and I plan to actively maintain builds for Linux, Android and Windows.

The emulator is capable of running most commercial games at full speed, provided you meet the necessary hardware requirements.

It runs most Nintendo Switch games released until the date of the Yuzu takedown.

Changes

Following are the changes made since forking from Yuzu:

Added option to optimize generated SPIR-V shaders via spirv-opt
Added option to synchronize CPU clock to render speed limit
Added option to launch home menu from Switch firmware
Fixed crash when switching away from null graphics per-game
Fixed controller UI being cut off at the bottom
Removed analytics and authentication as they'd be useless (perhaps even outright dangerous) now
Minor improvements and additions

Goals

The first and foremost goal is long-term maintenance. Even if I stop commiting new features I will always do my best to keep the emulator functional and third party dependencies updated. This also means most of the changes made will eventually be bug fixes. Essentially, the main goal is that you can still use this emulator on modern systems in 20 years. It is very important to me that this project is going to be a good base to fork once grass has grown over the whole legal dilemma and people are willing to do real work on this emulator non-anonymously.

A secondary goal is the improvement of usability on low-end systems. This includes both improving the performance of the emulator as well as making games more playable below 100% speed whenever possible (the sync CPU to render speed limit option already helps with that in few cases).

Android support is low priority but would be a nice bonus.

Development

Most of the development happens on Dark Git. It's also where our central repository is hosted.

Currently, development is somewhat limited to external commits as I'm working on improvements in dynarmic! This will increase emulation speed in CPU-bound scenarios.

If you want to contribute, please take a look at the Contributor's Guide and Developer Information.

Torzu 2024-05-08

Changelog

Fixed controller UI being cut off at the bottom
Added menu option under "About" to open to current mirror repository in browser
Added Windows build

https://github.com/litucks/torzu